May 18, 2024  
2022-2023 Graduate Catalog & Student Handbook 
2022-2023 Graduate Catalog & Student Handbook [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Academic Information

Semester System

Florida Polytechnic University operates on a semester system. Each semester hour represents the equivalent of one instructional period of 50 minutes in length. The Fall and Spring semesters are 16 weeks in length (including one week of final exams). The Fall semester begins in August and ends in December and the Spring semester begins in January and ends in May. The Summer semester has four terms: Term A is a 6-week term that begins in May and ends in June; Term B is a 6-week term that begins in June and ends in August; Term C is a 12-week term that begins in May and ends in August; and Term D is a 10-week term that begins in June and ends in August. For additional information see the Academic Calendars and policy FPU-5.003AP.

Religious Holidays

The Board of Governors and state law govern University policy regarding observance of religious holidays:

  • Students, upon prior notification to their instructors, shall be excused from class or other scheduled academic activity to observe a religious holy day of their faith.
  • Students shall be permitted a reasonable amount of time to make up the material or activities covered in their absence.
  • Students shall not be penalized due to absence from class or other scheduled academic activity.
  • A faculty member who is informed of or aware that a significant number of students are likely to be absent from his or her class because of a religious observance, should not schedule a major exam or other academic event at that time.

Furthermore, a student who is to be excused from class for a religious holy day is not required to provide a second party certification of the reasons for the absence. Finally, a student who believes that he or she has been unreasonably denied an education benefit due to religious beliefs or practices may seek redress through the student grievance procedure.
For more information regarding religious observance see FPU 3.009.


Students are expected to attend all of their scheduled University classes and to satisfy all academic objectives as defined by the instructor. The effect of unexcused absences upon a student’s grade is to be determined by the instructor; however, the University reserves the right to deal, at any time, with individual cases of non-attendance. It is the student’s responsibility to give the instructor notice prior to any anticipated absence and for arranging to make up work missed due to a valid, excused class absence, such as: illness, family emergencies, military obligation, court-imposed legal obligations, or participation in University-approved activities. After an unanticipated absence and within a reasonable period of time, ordinarily by the next scheduled class meeting, it is the student’s responsibility for arranging to make up work missed. For more information see FPU-5.0010AP.

Transfer of Coursework

The student is responsible for ensuring that the University receives complete official transcripts for all academic course work taken at other post-secondary institutions. Only official transcripts will be articulated. Failure to supply official transcripts will result in the non-acceptance of credits. The University is committed to its obligation to maintain academic quality. When deciding whether to accept credits for transfer, the University considers the level, content, quality, comparability and degree program relevance.

Florida Poly accepts up to 6 credits in transfer to apply to a graduate degree. The remaining hours must be completed in residence at Florida Poly. Students may not transfer thesis credits.

Course Substitutions

Only under unavoidable and exceptional circumstances will substitution for or exemption from the prescribed curricula be permitted. If it becomes necessary to request deviation from the prescribed course of study, the student should consult their Department Chair for the student’s track or the Graduate Division Director . Students transferring from other colleges who desire to substitute courses taken elsewhere for courses prescribed at the University should also consult their Department Chair or the Graduate Division Director.

Any deviations from the applicable published degree requirements must have the approval of the Department Chair or Division Director and the Office of the Registrar as appropriate.  Contact the Office of the University Registrar with any questions.

Academic Standing

A student must remain in good academic standing in order to continue in his or her graduate program of study.

Good Standing: A graduate student who possesses a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above is considered to be in good standing at the University.

Academic Probation: A student whose cumulative GPA is below a 3.0 for the first time in the student’s academic career as a graduate student at the University will be placed on academic probation. The Graduate Division Director and Department in which the student is enrolled will determine any additional conditions that the student must meet for continued enrollment and will provide written notice to the student of those conditions.

Academic Dismissal: There are two different circumstances that result in an academic dismissal from the University. Only one needs to be met for academic dismissal and the student will be notified by the Office of the University Registrar.

  • A student on academic probation whose cumulative and semester GPA is below a 3.0 will be automatically academically dismissed from the program and the University, or
  • A student who earns more than one F while enrolled at the University as a graduate student, will be automatically academically dismissed from the program and the University.
  • Readmission: If a student is academically dismissed, the student may apply for readmission to the University after a minimum of one calendar year has elapsed since the student was academically dismissed. To apply for readmission, a student must follow the graduate admission procedures as outlined in University regulations FPU-2.001 Admission to the University and Appeal Process-General and FPU-2.008 Graduate Admissions. Upon readmission, the course catalog in effect on the student’s date of readmission will apply.

For additional information see FPU-5.00744AP.

Adequate Progress

Graduate students earning a C- or below in any course for the graduate program do not get credit for that course. Program Core and Track Core courses where a minimum grade is not achieved must be retaken at the next earliest possible offering, assuming the student is in good standing. All other courses (e.g. electives) may receive course substitutions. In some instances, departments may opt to substitute Core Track courses.

Students should keep close track of their academic progress. Multiple grades below a B may result in academic probation and given the short time-frame of a graduate program make it impossible to graduate with the required minimum GPA per graduation requirements.

Grade Point Average Calculation

A student’s GPA is calculated by dividing the total number of quality points by the sum of attempted graded (A-F) credit hours. The total quality points are figured by multiplying the number of credits assigned to each course by the quality point value of the grade given. The GPA is truncated to two decimal points and is not rounded up. Only course work taken at Florida Polytechnic University is used in the GPA calculation.

Florida Polytechnic University’s grading system includes the following grades:

Grading System



Quality Points

Per Credit Hour











Above Average















Below Average












Failure from academic integrity violation





Credit only for Credit by Exam






Grade Not Reported





SR Satisfactory Research Progress or Completion **




UR Unsatisfactory Research Progress **


Withdrawal without academic penalty



Withdrawal - Mitigating Circumstances


X Non-gradable **






































*The “S” grade is equivalent to a “C” or higher and the “U” grade is equal to a “C-” or lower. The S/U grades for courses are not used in GPA calculations.

** Grade not included when computing the GPA.

There is no official policy on the relation between the letter grade and the percentage grade. It is the responsibility of each faculty member to work within department guidelines to determine the equivalency and to notify his or her students on the syllabus. Faculty members must clearly note the grading policy on the course syllabus.

A grade of “NR” is temporarily added to the transcript by the Registrar’s Office when an instructor does not submit a grade for a student in a particular course by the deadline for submission in the semester the course was taken. The “NR” is not a grade and therefore is not included in the grade point average. When the instructor submits a grade change form to the Registrar’s Office, the “NR” notation is replaced.

Grades of “I” and “NR” that are converted to the earned grade and any grade change form completed may negatively affect financial aid.

A student who registers for a course but fails to attend or fails to meet the course requirements and does not officially withdraw from the course by the posted deadline will receive a grade of “F” in the course.

Grading Information Specifically for Graduate Students

The grades of “A” through “C,” and “SR” are passing grades. The grades of “B-,” “C+,” and “C” are considered passing for graduate students but indicate weak performance for a graduate student and may not be accepted for some programs.

The grades of “C-,” “D+,” “D,” “D-,” “F,” and “UR” are failing grades. All thesis/dissertation credits receive a grade of “SR” or “UR.” The grades “SR” and “UR” are used to indicate satisfactory progress or completion or unsatisfactory progress.

For additional information see FPU-5.0071AP.

Incomplete Grade

A student may be temporarily assigned an incomplete (“I”) course grade, with the written approval of the course instructor, if the student is passing the course but has not completed all the required work due to exceptional circumstances that exist beyond the control of the student. An “I” grade cannot be assigned to a course if the student fails to attend the course, drops the course after the drop/add period, or withdraws from the University. A student who registers for a course but fails to meet the course requirements will receive an “F” grade in that course unless the student has officially dropped the course.

In order to be eligible for an “I” grade assignment in a course, the student must have completed a sufficient amount of graded work as defined by the instructor (usually > 70%). An “I” grade is not to be used to allow students to complete extra work to raise the grade earned. The “I” grade indicates a grade deferral in the event of extenuating circumstances and must be changed to a final evaluative grade within a specified time frame, not to exceed six months from the ending date of the semester during which the student was enrolled and prior to the student’s graduation.

A student may not re-enroll in the same course to make up an “I” grade, nor may the student enroll in any courses that designates the course for which the student is assigned an “I” grade as a prerequisite.

It is the student’s responsibility for making arrangements with the course instructor for timely completion of the missing academic work. Once the student completes the required work, the instructor will evaluate the work and complete a Grade Change Form. The instructor must submit the Grade Change Form to the Office of the University Registrar for approval and processing.

Once an “I” grade is converted to a final evaluative grade, that course grade may not be subject to further adjustment nor may it be converted back to an “I” grade. Exceptions due to University error may be approved by the Provost (or his/her designee) with supporting justification attached to a Grade Change Form.

Requesting an Incomplete Grade:

1. The student must contact the instructor of the course prior to final grades being due, as noted on the academic calendar, to inform the instructor of the exceptional circumstances that justify requesting an “I” grade. The decision to assign an “I” grade is at the sole discretion of the course instructor.

2. If the instructor agrees to temporarily assign the student an “I” grade for the course, the student and instructor shall complete the Incomplete Grade Agreement Form. The form will set the expectations for course completion and should include the following information:

  • Document the exceptional circumstances
  • Specify the academic work the student is missing
  • State the deadline for completion of that work
  • The grade that will be assigned if the work is not submitted on or before the deadline.

3. Once completed, the form must be signed by both the student and the instructor and submitted to the Office of the University Registrar prior to the semester deadline for reporting final grades.

For additional information see FPU-5.00712AP.

Final Grades

Official grades are available only in the student portal. Canvas is not the official grade and may not match the actual final grade posted to a student’s academic record. The University does not mail final grade reports. Students may print unofficial copies.

Grade Appeal

Faculty, adjuncts, professors, and instructors have a fundamental right and responsibility to assess student performance. Instructors exercise professional judgment in determining how to assess student performance based on standards in their departments or disciplines and based on their own expectations for student achievement.

A student may request a review of the final course grade, using the procedure described in the grade appeal policy only when the student believes that one or more of the following conditions apply:

· There was a computational or recording error in grading.

· Non-academic criteria were applied in the grading process.

· There was a gross violation of the grading statement in the instructor’s course syllabus that states how course grades will be calculated.

To begin the process the student must complete a request for meeting form located in the Registrar’s Office. For further details see the full 5.00714 policy.

Graduate Program Graduation Requirements

All work used to meet degree requirements, including coursework and the successful defense of a thesis, if applicable, must be completed within the six-year period immediately prior to degree conferral. An approved leave of absence does not increase or alter the time limits for degree completion.

In order to be awarded a Graduate degree, a student must meet all of the following requirements:

  • Satisfactory completion of the applicable program degree requirements and established curriculum in the student’s chosen program;
  • Satisfactory completion of 30 credit hours of approved coursework with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or better;
  • Earn at least two-thirds of the credits applied towards the graduate degree through the University;
  • Completion of any pre-requisites or deficiencies as identified by the Faculty Advisor and/or Department Chair; and
  • Submission of a completed application to graduate by the deadline indicated in the Academic Calendar.

For more information see FPU-5 .0096AP .

Residency Requirement for Graduation

A graduate student must complete at least eighteen (18) credits at Florida Polytechnic University to earn a master’s degree.


The National Student Clearinghouse (NSC) is the authorized agent of Florida Polytechnic University to provide online official transcript ordering and delivery services to students and alumni. Students may access the online portal to order official transcripts and check on the status of their order. Transcripts will not be released for students who have a financial obligation to the University, or other holds which prevent the release of transcripts.  A $10 fee is charged for each official transcript requested; however, additional fees may be assessed for expedited shipping services.

Unofficial transcripts can be obtained via the student portal, which is no charge.

Additional information on transcript ordering and delivery options can be found on the Records and Registration website

Student Records, FERPA, and Access

The Office of the Registrar is one of the official custodians of student records. Student records provided to the University become the property of the University and may be considered part of the student education record. These records cannot be returned to the student or released to a third party and will be used by University officials to assist students in their academic career and to conduct University business.

The University maintains student educational records in a confidential and secure manner in accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, as amended, (“FERPA”), also known as the Buckley Amendment (20 U.S.C. 1232g). Florida Statutes Section 1002.225 provides certain rights to students concerning their student records. Florida Statutes Section 1006.52 makes both student records and applicant records confidential and exempt from disclosure under the State’s Public Records Law.

 Additional information may be found at the following:

  1. University records policies (FPU-1.0123P and FPU-3.001)
  2. Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act(“FERPA”) (20 U.S.C. § 1232g; 34 CFR Part 99)  
  3. Florida Statutes 1002.225 and Florida Statutes 1006.52

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords eligible students certain rights with respect to their education records. (An “eligible student” under FERPA is a student who is 18 years of age or older or who attends a postsecondary institution at any age.) These rights include:

  1. The right to inspect and review the student’s education records within 45 days after the day the University receives a request for access. A student should submit to the registrar, dean, head of the academic department, or other appropriate official, a written request that identifies the record(s) the student wishes to inspect. The school official will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the school official to whom the request was submitted, that official shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.
  2. The right to request the amendment of the student’s education records that the student believes is inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the student’s privacy rights under FERPA.

A student who wishes to ask the University to amend a record should write the University official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record the student wants changed, and specify why it should be changed.

If the University decides not to amend the record as requested, the University will notify the student in writing of the decision and the student’s right to a hearing re­garding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.

The right to provide written consent before the University discloses personally identifiable information (PII) from the student’s education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent.

The University discloses education records without a student’s prior written consent under the FERPA exception for disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official is a person employed by the University in an administrative, supervisory, academic, research, or support staff position (including law en­forcement unit personnel and health staff); a person serving on the board of trustees; or a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance com­mittee. A school official also may include a volunteer or contractor outside of the University who performs an institutional service of function for which the school would otherwise use its own employees and who is under the direct control of the school with respect to the use and maintenance of PII from education records, such as an attorney, auditor, or collection agent or a student volunteering to assist another school official in performing his or her tasks. A school official typically has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an educa­tion record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibilities for the University.

The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the University to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The name and address of the office that administers FERPA is:

Family Policy Compliance Office
U.S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20202

See the list below of the disclosures that postsecondary institutions may make without consent.

FERPA permits the disclosure of PII from students’ education records, without consent of the student, if the disclosure meets certain conditions found in § 99.31 of the FERPA regulations. Except for disclosures to school officials, disclosures related to some judicial orders or lawfully issued subpoenas, disclosures of directory information, and disclosures to the student, § 99.32 of FERPA regulations requires the institution to record the disclosure. Eligible students have a right to inspect and review the record of disclosures. A postsecondary institution may disclose PII from the education records without obtaining prior written consent of the student -

  • To other school officials, including teachers, within University whom the school has determined to have legitimate educational interests. This includes contractors, consultants, volunteers, or other parties to whom the school has outsourced institutional services or functions, provided that the conditions listed in § 99.31(a)(1)(i)(B)(1) - (a)(1)(i)(B)(3) are met. (§ 99.31(a)(1))
  • To officials of another school where the student seeks or intends to enroll, or where the student is already enrolled if the disclosure is for purposes related to the student’s enrollment or transfer, subject to the requirements of § 99.34. (§ 99.31(a)(2))
  • To authorized representatives of the U. S. Comptroller General, the U.S. Attorney General, the U.S. Secretary of Education, or State and local educational authorities, such as a State postsecondary authority that is responsible for supervising the university’s State-supported education programs. Disclosures under this provision may be made, subject to the requirements of §99.35, in connection with an audit or evaluation of Federal- or State-supported education programs, or for the enforcement of or compliance with Federal legal requirements that relate to those programs. These entities may make further disclosures of PII to outside entities that are designated by them as their authorized representatives to conduct any audit, evaluation, or enforcement or compliance activity on their behalf. (§§ 99.31(a)(3) and 99.35)
  • In connection with financial aid for which the student has applied or which the student has received, if the information is necessary to determine eligibility for the aid, determine the amount of the aid, determine the conditions of the aid, or enforce the terms and conditions of the aid. (§ 99.31(a)(4))
  • To organizations conducting studies for, or on behalf of, the school, in order to: (a) develop, validate, or administer predictive tests; (b) administer student aid programs; or (c) improve instruction. (§ 99.31(a)(6))
  • To accrediting organizations to carry out their accrediting functions. (§ 99.31(a)(7))
  • To parents of an eligible student if the student is a dependent for IRS tax purposes. (§  99.31(a)(8))
  • To comply with a judicial order or lawfully issued subpoena. (§ 99.31(a)(9))
  • To appropriate officials in connection with a health or safety emergency, subject to § 99.36. (§  99.31(a)(10))
  • Information the school has designated as “directory information” under § 99.37. (§ 99.31(a)(11))
  • To a victim of an alleged perpetrator of a crime of violence or a non-forcible sex offense, subject to the requirements of § 99.39. The disclosure may only include the final results of the disciplinary proceeding with respect to that alleged crime or offense, regardless of the finding. (§ 99.31(a)(13))
  • To the general public, the final results of a disciplinary proceeding, subject to the requirements of § 99.39, if the school determines the student is an alleged perpetrator of a crime of violence or non-forcible sex offense and the student has committed a violation of the school’s rules or policies with respect to the allegation made against him or her. (§ 99.31(a)(14))
  • To parents of a student regarding the student’s violation of any Federal, State, or local law, or of any rule or policy of the school, governing the use or possession of alcohol or a controlled substance if the school determines the student committed a disciplinary violation and the student is under the age of 21. (§99.31(a)(15))

Additional Information may be found at

Directory Information and Release to Third Parties

Directory information is the information available about a student that is not considered harmful or an invasion of privacy if disclosed. The following is student directory information that may be released upon request or otherwise published without student consent:

  • Student’s name
  • Student’s date and place of birth
  • Local and permanent addresses
  • Telephone number
  • Email address
  • University student ID number (not social security number)
  • Enrollment status
  • Dates of attendance at Florida Polytechnic University
  • Level and class
  • Majors, minors, certificates, concentrations
  • Degrees, honors, and awards earned by the student
  • Graduation date
  • Titles of publications by the student
  • Student’s photo
  • Student’s participation in officially recognized or registered activities and sports
  • Student’s weight and height when he/she is a member of an athletic team
  • Most recent previous educational institution attended by the student
  • Nature and place of the student’s employment at the University

For additional information see FPU-3.001.

Name Change

Official name change forms are available through the Office of the University Registrar. For the purpose of authentication, students are required to present a valid form of supporting documentation showing both the change and the reason when the form is submitted.

  • Marriage License
  • Divorce decree
  • Legal name change documentation
  • Social Security card, signed
  • Passport
  • Current Florida driver’s license or State issued I.D. card

Original copies and the form must be submitted in person. Originals submitted in person are returned immediately. If unable to submit in person, the request and notarized copies of the original documents may be mailed to Florida Polytechnic University, Attn: Registrar’s Office, 4700 Research Way; Lakeland, FL 33805-8531. For more information see FPU-5.0011AP.