May 18, 2024  
2022-2023 Graduate Catalog & Student Handbook 
2022-2023 Graduate Catalog & Student Handbook [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Enrollment Information


Prior to registration for the student’s initial term at the University, each student accepted for admission must submit a signed medical history form, including documentation of appropriate immunizations as required by the University. International students must also submit the medical insurance required under Board of Governor’s regulation 6.009 before registering for classes.

All students are responsible for his or her registration status. Registration is completed online through the student portal. A student who makes changes to his or her registration should take into consideration the potential academic and financial impact. International students are responsible for maintaining their immigration status.

For more information see FPU-5.0102AP.

Enrollment Status

Graduate Degree and Non Degree-Seeking:


9 or more





Less Than Half-time


Student Classifications

Post-baccalaureate: Any student who is enrolled in a course, regardless of course level, who has a baccalaureate degree, is not working toward another baccalaureate degree, and has not been admitted to a graduate program.

Graduate: Any student enrolled in a graduate course (5000-6000 level) who has been admitted to a graduate program.

Student Holds

Holds may be placed on a student’s account, records, transcript, grades, diplomas or registration because of financial or other obligations to the University such as failure to turn in required paperwork or failure to participate in required advisements. Satisfaction of the obligation is required prior to the release of the hold by the office having authority.

Course Load

A full-time graduate student is enrolled in 9 or more credit hours during the fall and spring semesters and in 6 or more credit hours during a summer semester. Graduate students may not register for more than twelve (12) credit hours in the Fall and Spring or 6 credit hours in the Summer semesters without approval from their academic advisor or department chair. For additional information see FPU-5.0088AP.

Summer Enrollment

Depending on the pathway chosen for the degree, summer enrollment may be required. For students on a traditional track (2-years), summer courses typically are not available; however, students may take research credits over the summer.

Coursework Taken as an Undergraduate

A student who has taken the undergraduate offering of a course from Florida Poly is not eligible to retake the same course at either the undergraduate or graduate level and apply it to the degree. Exceptions to this may be made in writing first to the student’s advisor, the Department Chair, and the Graduate Division Director.

Adding/Dropping a Course

Adding a course: Students may add courses or change sections of courses during the registration period and the drop/add period, as published in the Academic Calendar. Classes may be added during the registration period by accessing the registration tab in the student portal.

Dropping a course: Courses may be dropped during the registration and drop/add period, as published in the Academic Calendar through the student portal. Courses dropped during this period will not appear on the student’s academic record.  Withdrawing from individual courses after the drop/add period must be processed through the Office of the Registrar. These courses will remain on the academic record and are assigned a grade of W. A grade of W is not calculated in the student’s grade point average (GPA), but is counted in attempted credits.

Non-attendance in one or all courses or dropping all courses does not officially constitute formal withdrawal from the University. Refer to the Withdrawal section for information and procedures. A student is financially liable for all courses in which he or she is registered at the end of the drop/add period.

For additional information on course drop/add see FPU-5.0101AP.


Graduate students are strongly discouraged from withdrawing from classes. Withdrawal will impact degree progress and may impact graduate assistantship status. Students admitted to a program on an accelerated pathway should be aware that withdrawal from a course constitutes withdrawal from the cohort, accelerated program path. They would need to re-apply to the University to resume graduate study in a normal time path.

Withdrawal from Individual Course(s)

A student may withdraw from an individual course or multiple courses after the drop/add period while remaining registered in at least one course. Refunds are not issued for individual course withdrawals. The student must submit a completed Course Withdrawal Form with all required signatures for each course and submit it to the Office of the University Registrar. A course withdrawal can be requested after the add/drop period of a term and up to the listed withdrawal deadline located on the academic calendar. The form is located in the Registrar’s Office or online.

Withdrawal from the University

A student may fully withdraw from all courses during a term after the add/drop deadline and before the withdrawal deadline designated on the academic calendar. This is considered a withdrawal from the University. To request a university withdrawal a student must complete a University Withdrawal Form with all required signatures and submit it to the Office of the University Registrar. The form is located in the Registrar’s Office and online. Students withdrawing after the end of a current semester but not returning the following spring or fall semester may return in the future subject to review by the Graduate Division.

Withdrawal for Mitigating Circumstances

A mitigating circumstances withdrawal may be a full withdrawal from the University or individual course(s) withdrawal as appropriate to circumstances, at any time during the semester, regardless of deadlines, or within six months of the last day of the semester based on mitigating circumstances. To qualify for a mitigating circumstances withdrawal the student is required to complete and submit the Mitigating Circumstances Petition with supporting documentation to the Office of the University Registrar.

For additional information see FPU-5.01035AP.  Requests for appeals to the withdrawal policy should be submitted in writing with appropriate documentation to the Office of the University Registrar.

Leave of Absence from the Graduate Program

Following FPU-5.0106AP, a graduate student may apply for a leave of absence through the end of the drop/add period as noted of the Academic Calendar of the semester in which the student wishes to begin a leave of absence. A leave of absence may be granted for up to three consecutive semesters, not counting summer semesters. A student must be in Good Academic Standing to be eligible for a leave of absence. A student enrolled under conditional status is not eligible for a leave of absence.

A leave of absence will generally be granted in cases involving personal hardship or family need. Academic standing is not considered a valid reason for granting a leave of absence. A student granted a leave of absence retains his/her enrolled student status. However, an approved leave of absence does not increase or alter the time limits for degree completion.

Military Call to Active Duty Policy

A student who is currently enrolled at the University shall not incur academic or financial penalties by virtue of performing military service on behalf of the United States of America. 

For the purposes of this regulation, “active military service” means active duty in the United States Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard, National Guard of the State of Florida, or other military service as provided in Florida statutes. The student must provide official orders or appropriate military certification to verify such military service.

The purpose of regulation FPU-4.005 Student Withdrawal from Courses Due to Military Service is to provide the policies for students currently enrolled at the University who are called to, or enlist in, active military service to withdraw from courses.