Jul 21, 2024  
2024-2025 Undergraduate Catalog & Student Handbook 
2024-2025 Undergraduate Catalog & Student Handbook

Academic Information

Semester System

Florida Polytechnic University operates on a semester system. Each semester hour represents the equivalent of one instructional period of 50 minutes in length. The Fall and Spring semesters are 16 weeks in length (including one week of final exams). The Fall semester begins in August and ends in December and the Spring semester begins in January and ends in May. The Summer semester has four terms: Term A is a 6-week term that begins in May and ends in June; Term B is a 6-week term that begins in June and ends in August; Term C is a 12-week term that begins in May and ends in August; and Term D is a 10-week term that begins in June and ends in August. For additional information see the Academic Calendars and policy FPU-5.003AP.


Students are expected to attend all of their scheduled University classes and to satisfy all academic objectives as defined by the instructor. The effect of unexcused absences upon a student’s grade is to be determined by the instructor; however, the University reserves the right to deal, at any time, with individual cases of non-attendance. It is the student’s responsibility to give the instructor notice prior to any anticipated absence and for arranging to make up work missed due to a valid, excused class absence, such as: illness, family emergencies, military obligation, court-imposed legal obligations, or participation in University-approved activities. After an unanticipated absence and within a reasonable period of time, ordinarily by the next scheduled class meeting, it is the student’s responsibility for arranging to make up work missed. For more information see FPU-5.0010AP.

Religious Holidays

The Board of Governors and state law govern University policy regarding observance of religious holidays:

  • Students, upon prior notification to their instructors, shall be excused from class or other scheduled academic activity to observe a religious holy day of their faith.
  • Students shall be permitted a reasonable amount of time to make up the material or activities covered in their absence.
  • Students shall not be penalized due to absence from class or other scheduled academic activity.
  • A faculty member who is informed of or aware that a significant number of students are likely to be absent from his or her class because of a religious observance, should not schedule a major exam or other academic event at that time.

Furthermore, a student who is to be excused from class for a religious holy day is not required to provide a second party certification of the reasons for the absence. Finally, a student who believes that he or she has been unreasonably denied an education benefit due to religious beliefs or practices may seek redress through the student grievance procedure.
For more information regarding religious observance see FPU 3.009.

Transfer of Coursework

The University is committed to its obligation to maintain academic quality and integrity. When deciding whether to accept credits for transfer, the University considers the level, content, quality, comparability, and degree program relevance. The University may grant transfer credit for academic coursework completed at accredited institutions or institutions in candidacy for accreditation. No credit is awarded for technical, vocational, physical education, pre-college coursework, or for coursework completed below a grade of C. Transfer students from non-accredited institution will be required to provide additional materials to demonstrate equivalency including, but not limited to, course syllabus and sample assignments. Credit by departmental examination from another institution will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Duplicate credit for courses, including credit by examination, in areas where they have received college credit for equal courses or more advanced work will not be awarded. Any credit hours awarded by another institution solely on the basis of SAT or ACT scores will not be accepted by Florida Polytechnic University.

The University will accept credit awarded through one or any combination of state-approved acceleration mechanisms, not to exceed forty-five (45) credit hours. Credits awarded through this method must meet or exceed minimum scores established by the Statewide Articulation Agreement. Credit toward major requirements must be approved by the University faculty.

The University recognizes the following programs for which undergraduate students may receive academic credit:

·        Advanced Placement Program (AP)

·        Cambridge Advanced International Certificate of Education (Students shall be awarded a maximum of 30 semester credit hours pursuant to 1007.27 (9))

·        College Level Examination Program (CLEP)

·        Excelsior College Examinations

·        International Baccalaureate Diploma Program (Students shall be awarded a maximum of 30 semester credit hours pursuant to 1007.27 (8))

·        Military service school credit evaluated by the American Council on Education (ACE) guide

·        United States Armed Forces Institute (USAFI)/ Defense Activity of Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES) Examinations

The student is responsible for ensuring that the University receives complete official transcripts for all academic course work taken at other post-secondary institutions and for the acceleration mechanisms. Only official transcripts will be articulated. Failure to supply official transcripts will result in the non-acceptance of credits. The University is committed to its obligation to maintain academic quality. When deciding whether to accept credits for transfer, the University considers the level, content, quality, comparability and degree program relevance. The University also accepts credit for Advanced Placement, Cambridge Advanced International Certificate of Education, CLEP, Excelsior College Exams, International Baccalaureate Diploma Program, Military Service (ACE) and USAF/DANTES. For more information on the acceptance of accelerated mechanisms see FPU-5.0009AP. For additional information on undergraduate and graduate transfer of credit see FPU-5.0082AP

Common Prerequisites

Institutions of higher education in the state of Florida, under legislative mandate and through the direction of the Articulation Coordinating Committee, established a list of common prerequisite courses for every degree program. This list provides students, especially those who plan to transfer between institutions, with information regarding the courses that they will need to take to be admitted into upper division programs.

Common Prerequisites for Florida Poly Programs can be found within each department catalog page. 

Common prerequisites should be taken in the first two years of study. The common prerequisite coursework required for a particular program is dependent on the student’s year of matriculation and year of admittance into the upper division. Special guidelines apply to students who transfer from one public institution to another in the State University System or Community College System. For additional information, refer to the college/program description in this catalog, contact a college advisor, or access the Common Prerequisite Manual in the “Manuals” section of the FloridaShines website.

Exceptions to General Equivalency

Since the initial implementation of the SCNS, specific disciplines or types of courses have been excepted from the guarantee of transfer for equivalent courses.  These include courses that must be evaluated individually or courses in which the student must be evaluated for mastery of skill and technique.  The following courses are exceptions to the general rule for course equivalencies and may not transfer.  Transferability is at the discretion of the receiving institution.

  1. Courses not offered by the receiving institution.
  2. For courses at non-institutionally accredited institutions, courses offered prior to the established transfer date of the course in question.
  3. Courses in the _900-999 series are not automatically transferable, and must be evaluated individually. These include such courses as Special Topics, Internships, Apprenticeships, Practica, Study Abroad, Theses, and Dissertations.
  4. Applied academics for adult education courses.
  5. Graduate courses.
  6. Internships, apprenticeships, practica, clinical experiences, and study abroad courses with numbers other than those ranging from 900-999.
  7. Applied courses in the performing arts (Art, Dance, Interior Design, Music, and Theatre) and skills courses in Criminal Justice (academy certificate courses) are not guaranteed as transferable. These courses need evidence of achievement (e.g., portfolio, audition, interview, etc.).

Course Substitutions

Only under unavoidable and exceptional circumstances will substitution for or exemption from the prescribed curricula be permitted. If it becomes necessary to request deviation from the prescribed course of study, the student should consult their Department or Division Chair of the student’s major. Students transferring from other colleges who desire to substitute courses taken elsewhere for courses prescribed at the University should also consult their Department or Division Chair.

Any deviations from the applicable published degree requirements must have the approval of the Department or Division Chair and the Office of the Registrar as appropriate.  Contact the Office of the Registrar with any questions.

Change of Major

All undergraduate students desiring to change their major should consult with their academic advisor to have an informed discussion and understand the implications of the change. Some major changes may also require a change of catalog year. Making changes to your program may impact your expected term of graduation and could result in additional Excess Credit Hour fees. There are two windows during the academic year when major changes will be considered: these are fall and spring advising and registration periods. Students are encouraged to make a decision as to their major by second-semester freshman year.

To request a change in your program, complete the Program of Study Change form and collect all required signatures before submitting to the Office of the Registrar.

For additional information on change of major, see FPU-5.0091AP.

Academic Standing

All students must demonstrate satisfactory academic progress for retention and continued enrollment at Florida Polytechnic University. Satisfactory academic progress includes, but is not limited to, successful completion of program requirements and positive continuous progression towards degree completion. The University reserves the right not to retain students who do not demonstrate satisfactory academic progress.

Academic standing is assessed at the end of fall and spring semesters. Summer semesters will reflect the prior spring (or prior fall if no prior spring enrollment) academic standing for system processing purposes only. Academic standing is included in a student’s academic record and on transcripts.

Grade changes will result in a recalculation of the GPA and a review of the current semester’s academic standing. This includes a change of incomplete and non-reported grades. A change to academic standing will only occur for the current term and one semester prior to the current term.

Students on probation are encouraged to enroll in summer courses to improve their GPA and their academic progress. Doing so also contributes to satisfying the summer enrollment requirement. Students entering the summer term on probation remain on probation for the subsequent term regardless of summer performance. (E.g. if you raise your GPA above 2.0 over the summer, you will remain on probation in the fall; similarly, if you do not raise your GPA above a 2.0 or your summer GPA is less than a 2.0, you will remain on probation in the fall.) 

Students are allowed to apply as a transient student to facilitate transfer approval, but acceptance is at the host institution’s discretion. Students who withdraw from the university or who become Administratively Withdrawn will no longer be considered “active” students and will not be eligible to apply as a transient student. 

Academic standing of probation or suspension may limit your involvement in running or holding institutional office or committee leadership positions, and participation in a commencement ceremony, any university-sponsored clubs, organizations, meetings, or activities.

Good Standing: An undergraduate student who possesses a cumulative and semester GPA of 2.00 or above is considered to be in good standing at the University.

Academic Probation: A student at Florida Polytechnic University shall be placed on academic probation if his/her fall or spring semester or cumulative GPA at the end of any fall or spring semester is less than a 2.0. The student will not be allowed to register in more than 12.0 hours without the approval of an advisor in any subsequent semester until reinstated to good standing.

A student on academic probation shall be removed from that standing and placed on good standing at the end of the first subsequent fall or spring semester in which the student achieves a semester and cumulative GPA equal to or greater than 2.0.

Academic Suspension: A student on academic probation who withdraws from all courses in the immediate subsequent semester shall be placed on academic suspension. Mitigating withdrawals will be considered on an individual basis.

A student on academic probation shall be academically suspended from the University when the student’s semester and cumulative GPA are less than a 2.0.

Readmission: A student who is academically suspended from the University for the first time is not eligible to enroll for at least one fall or spring semester. A student who is academically suspended for the second time is not eligible to enroll for at least one year. A third academic suspension is considered terminal and cannot be appealed. The student may not reapply to Florida Polytechnic University.

A student suspended a first or second time by this rule must apply to the Registrar’s Office where the student’s case will be heard by a Readmissions Committee. Readmission is not guaranteed and the committee’s decision is final. Any student who gains readmission is readmitted on probation and is subject to stipulations in effect as a condition of readmission.

For additional information see FPU-5.0074AP.

Grade Point Average Calculation

A student’s GPA is calculated by dividing the total number of quality points by the sum of attempted graded (A-F) credit hours. The total quality points are figured by multiplying the number of credits assigned to each course by the quality point value of the grade given. The GPA is truncated to two decimal points and is not rounded up. Only course work taken at Florida Polytechnic University is used in the GPA calculation.

Florida Polytechnic University’s grading system includes the following grades:

Grading System



Quality Points Per Semester











Above Average















Below Average












Failure from academic integrity violation (eff. su 2021)



Course Audit



Credit only for Credit by Exam






Grade Not Reported






Satisfactory Research Progress or Completion (eff. su 2021)






Unsatisfactory Research Progress (eff. su 2021)



Withdrawal without academic penalty


Withdrawal - Mitigating Circumstances





* The “S” grade is equivalent to a “C” or higher and the “U” grade is equivalent to a “C-” or lower. The S/U grades for courses are not used in GPA calculations.

** Grades not included when calculating GPA.

It is the option of the division, department or instructor to use all, some, or none of the plus/minus grades in assigning student grades in a course, as long as the grading system is communicated to students via the course syllabi at the beginning of the course. Numerical ranges corresponding to letter grades are established for each course according to the professional judgment of the instructor. There is no official policy on the relation between the letter grade and the percentage grade. Each faculty member may determine the equivalency and must notify his or her students. Faculty members must clearly note the grading policy on the course syllabus.

Some divisions, departments, and programs have established minimum grade requirements. In these instances, for example, C- does not satisfy the requirement of a minimum grade of C. Only courses with a grade of C or better will be considered for transfer.

The grades of D, while considered passing for undergraduate students, may not be acceptable for some courses (see program requirements). Refer to course descriptions and the prerequisites to determine what grade a prerequisite course requires.

Earned credit hours are not assigned in courses with grades of F, FF, AU, I, IP, NR, W, and WM (see definitions). A grade of NR is posted for grades not reported by the instructor.

An NR grade will be converted to an F at the end of the following semester. Students finding this in error should file a grade appeal. This conversion may affect financial aid. For additional information see FPU-5.0071AP.

Incomplete Grade

A student may be temporarily assigned an incomplete (“I”) course grade, with the written approval of the course instructor, if the student is in good standing in the course as determined by the instructor but has not completed all the required coursework. An “I” grade cannot be assigned to a course if the student fails to attend the course, withdraws from the course after the drop/add period, or withdraws from the University.

An “I” grade is not to be used to allow students to complete extra work to raise the grade earned. The incomplete grade must be changed to a final evaluative grade within one (1) month from the ending date of the semester during which the student was enrolled in the course and prior to the student’s graduation. Instructors may specify a longer make-up time on the Incomplete Grade Agreement Form, not to exceed six (6) months from the ending date of the semester during which the student was enrolled in the course and prior to the student’s anticipated graduation.

A student may not re-enroll in the same course to make up an “I” grade, nor may the student enroll in any courses that designate the course for which the student is assigned an “I” grade as a prerequisite.

It is the student’s responsibility for making arrangements with the course instructor for timely completion of the missing academic work. Once the student completes the required work, the instructor will evaluate the work and complete a Grade Change Form. The instructor must submit the Grade Change Form to the Office of the University Registrar for approval and processing.

Once an “I” grade is converted to a final evaluative grade, that course grade may not be subject to further adjustment nor may it be converted back to an “I” grade. Exceptions due to University error may be approved by the Provost (or his/her designee) with supporting justification attached to a Grade Change Form.

Requesting an Incomplete Grade:

1. The student must contact the instructor of the course prior to final grades being due, as noted on the academic calendar, to inform the instructor of the exceptional circumstances that justify requesting an “I” grade. The decision to assign an “I” grade is at the sole discretion of the course instructor.

2. If the instructor agrees to temporarily assign the student an “I” grade for the course, the student and instructor shall complete the Incomplete Grade Agreement Form. The form will set the expectations for course completion and should include the following information:

  • Document the exceptional circumstances
  • Specify the academic work the student is missing
  • State the deadline for completion of that work
  • The grade that will be assigned if the work is not submitted on or before the deadline.

3. Once completed, the form must be signed by both the student and the instructor and submitted to the Office of the University Registrar prior to the semester deadline for reporting final grades.

For additional information see FPU-5.00712AP.

Grade Forgiveness

Grade Forgiveness is the repetition of a course for the sake of improving upon an earlier unsatisfactory performance in which the repeat course grade replaces the original course grade in the calculation of the student’s grade point average (GPA). However, the original grade is not removed from a student’s academic history and will show on the transcript. The Grade Forgiveness Policy is a method by which undergraduate and non-degree students may repeat a limited number of courses, provided the initial grade earned for the designated course is less than a “C”, to improve their grade point average (GPA).

Undergraduate degree and non-degree students may be eligible for a grade forgiveness upon meeting the following requirements:

  • Grade forgiveness may only be granted for courses taken and repeated at Florida Polytechnic University.
  • Original course grade of C- (C- minus) or lower has been recorded on the individual’s academic record.
  • The repeated grade must be higher than the recorded original course grade.
  • It is advisable for a student to complete and submit the Grade Forgiveness Request form at the time of registration into the course for which the student is pursuing forgiveness. This may prevent academic standing or financial aid issues. If a student withdraws or does not receive a grade higher than the previous grade, the form will not be processed and does not count towards the limit.
  • Students have five (5) grade forgiveness options allocated. Students who wish to apply their grade forgiveness options must retake the applicable courses in the subsequent semester.
  • First semester students who exercise all five Grade Forgiveness options will have no further Grade Forgiveness options available while they are students at Florida Polytechnic University. Only two grade forgiveness options will carry beyond the freshman year, if not already used in the freshman year.
  • Only 1000-4000 level courses are considered eligible for Grade Forgiveness.
  • All course grades will remain on the student’s academic transcript. Grade Forgiveness granted courses will be appropriately designated by an official comment on the student’s transcript.
  • Courses in which a student has an open or pending academic integrity case or has received an academic integrity penalty are not eligible for grade forgiveness.
  • The student should discuss their eligibility for Grade Forgiveness with the Academic Success Center or the Registrar’s Office. Applications for Grade Forgiveness can be obtained from the Academic Success Center or the Office of the Registrar.
  • The university reserves the right to “auto-apply” a grade forgiveness where in the best interests of the student. The Registrar will inform all students for whom an auto-apply is used. Students may reject the application of the forgiveness within one (1) week (7 days) of notification.

Departments may have further restrictions; therefore, the student should discuss their eligibility for Grade Forgiveness with their academic advisor. Applications for Grade Forgiveness can be obtained from online or in the Office of the Registrar. For more information see FPU-5.0006AP.

Final Grades

Official grades are available only in the student information system portal. Canvas is not the official grade and may not match the actual final grade posted to a student’s academic record. The University does not mail final grade reports. Students may print unofficial copies.

Grade Appeal

Faculty, adjuncts, professors, and instructors have a fundamental right and responsibility to assess student performance. Instructors exercise professional judgment in determining how to assess student performance based on standards in their departments or disciplines and based on their own expectations for student achievement.

A student may request a review of the final course grade, using the procedure described in the grade appeal policy only when the student believes that one or more of the following conditions apply:

· There was a computational or recording error in grading.

· Non-academic criteria were applied in the grading process.

· There was a gross violation of the grading statement in the instructor’s course syllabus that states how course grades will be calculated.

To begin the process the student must complete a request for meeting form located in the Registrar’s Office. For further details see the full 5.00714 policy.

Honors Recognition

Each semester the University takes the opportunity to recognize those degree seeking undergraduate students who have met certain high academic standards. Eligible undergraduate students who achieve the required grade point average for courses taken in the fall or spring semester will be placed on a President’s List or Provost’s List that is published after the end of each semester.

In order to be eligible for consideration for the lists, an undergraduate student must have been enrolled in and completed a minimum of 12 credit hours during the semester and have no incomplete grades for any courses taken during the semester.

  • An eligible undergraduate student whose grade point average is 3.90 to 4.00 for the semester will be placed on the President’s List.
  • An eligible undergraduate student whose grade point average is 3.50 to 3.89 will be placed on the Provost’s List.

The GPA is truncated to two decimal points and is not rounded up. Once a list is published, there will be no changes to the list based upon grade changes or the removal or change of incomplete grades.

For additional information see FPU-5.00741AP.

Graduation with Honors

Undergraduate students may graduate with honors upon meeting the following requirements at the end of the final semester for the baccalaureate degree:

  1. Completion of a minimum of 30 credits at Florida Polytechnic University
  2. Achieve a cumulative grade-point average as follows:
  • Summa Cum Laude: 3.90 and above
  • Magna Cum Laude: 3.75 to 3.89
  • Cum Laude: 3.50 to 3.74

The GPA is truncated to two decimal points and is not rounded up. These distinctions are recorded on the student’s permanent record and diploma.

For more information see FPU-5.0017AP.

Graduation Requirements, Baccalaureate

The following are minimum requirements for awarding the baccalaureate degree:

  1. Satisfactory completion of the applicable college or program degree requirements and established curriculum as identified in the University Catalog in effect at the beginning of the student’s most recent period of continuous enrollment.
  2. Satisfactory completion of a minimum of one hundred twenty (120) credit hours with a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or better in coursework attempted at the University.
  3. Satisfactory completion of thirty-six (36) credit hours of general education courses in communication, mathematics, social sciences, humanities, and natural sciences including six (6) credit hours of English Composition coursework and six (6) credit hours of mathematics courses at the college algebra level or higher. For the purposes of this rule, a grade of C or higher shall be considered successful completion.
  4. Satisfactory completion of an additional six (6) credit hours of courses designated as “writing intensive” (W) by the University.
  5. Satisfactory completion of at least forty-eight 48 credit hours of courses numbered 3000 and above.
  6. Earn at least one-fourth of the credits applied towards the Baccalaureate degree, half of the major course credits, and the last thirty (30) credits in residence at Florida Poly. In cases of emergency, a maximum of six (6) credits of the final thirty (30) credits may be completed by correspondence or residence at another accredited institution with the approval of the program Department Chair and University Registrar.
  7. Earn at least nine (9) credit hours in one or more summer semesters, unless the student entered the University with more than sixty (60) credit hours, or the University President or his/her designee waives this requirement.
  8. Completion of the foreign-language admissions requirement. 
  9. Fulfillment of the Florida Civic Literacy requirement
  10. Satisfactory completion of any pre-requisites or deficiencies as identified by the student’s Faculty Advisor
  11. Submission of a completed Graduation Application to the Office of the University Registrar so that it is received by the Registrar on or before the “Graduation Application Deadline” as noted on the Academic Calendar for the semester in which the student anticipates graduating 

For more information see FPU-5.0094AP.

Residency Requirement for Graduation

At least twenty-five percent of coursework for the degree must be earned at Florida Polytechnic University. Thirty (30) of the last sixty (60) hours must be earned at Florida Polytechnic University to receive a baccalaureate degree from Florida Polytechnic University.


The National Student Clearinghouse (NSC) is the authorized agent of Florida Polytechnic University to provide online official transcript ordering and delivery services to students and alumni. Students may access the online portal to order official transcripts and check on the status of their order. Transcripts will not be released for students who have a financial obligation to the University, or other holds which prevent the release of transcripts. The Registrar’s Office will process the request. A $10 fee is charged for each official transcript requested; however, additional fees may be assessed for expedited shipping services.

Transcript Fee Waiver for Active Duty Military/Veterans: In accordance with F.S. 1009.26 (17a), Florida Poly students who are active duty military, honorably discharged veterans of the United States Armed Forces, or spouse and/or dependents are eligible for a transcript fee waiver. The waiver will cover the $10 transcript cost. You must be verified by the Registrar’s Office as a student, dependent and/or spouse who meets the criteria above before the waiver can be applied. 

Unofficial transcripts can be obtained via the student portal, which is no charge.

Additional information on transcript ordering and delivery options can be found on the Records and Registration website.

Student Records, FERPA, and Access

The Office of the University Registrar is one of the official custodians of student records. Student records provided to the University become the property of the University and may be considered part of the student education record. These records cannot be returned to the student or released to a third party and will be used by University officials to assist students in their academic career and to conduct University business.

The University maintains student educational records in a confidential and secure manner in accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, as amended, (“FERPA”), also known as the Buckley Amendment (20 U.S.C. 1232g). Florida Statutes Section 1002.225 provides certain rights to students concerning their student records. Florida Statutes Section 1006.52 makes both student records and applicant records confidential and exempt from disclosure under the State’s Public Records Law.

 Additional information may be found at the following:

  1. University records policies (FPU-1.0123P and FPU-3.001)
  2. Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act(“FERPA”) (20 U.S.C. § 1232g; 34 CFR Part 99)  
  3. Florida Statutes 1002.225 and Florida Statutes 1006.52

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords eligible students certain rights with respect to their education records. (An “eligible student” under FERPA is a student who is 18 years of age or older or who attends a postsecondary institution at any age.) These rights include:

  1. The right to inspect and review the student’s education records within 45 days after the day the University receives a request for access. A student should submit to the registrar, provost, head of the academic department, or other appropriate official, a written request that identifies the record(s) the student wishes to inspect. The school official will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the school official to whom the request was submitted, that official shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.
  2. The right to request the amendment of the student’s education records that the student believes is inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the student’s privacy rights under FERPA.

A student who wishes to ask the University to amend a record should write the University official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record the student wants changed, and specify why it should be changed.

If the University decides not to amend the record as requested, the University will notify the student in writing of the decision and the student’s right to a hearing re­garding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.

The right to provide written consent before the University discloses personally identifiable information (PII) from the student’s education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent.

The University discloses education records without a student’s prior written consent under the FERPA exception for disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official is a person employed by the University in an administrative, supervisory, academic, research, or support staff position (including law en­forcement unit personnel and health staff); a person serving on the board of trustees; or a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance com­mittee. A school official also may include a volunteer or contractor outside of the University who performs an institutional service of function for which the school would otherwise use its own employees and who is under the direct control of the school with respect to the use and maintenance of PII from education records, such as an attorney, auditor, or collection agent or a student volunteering to assist another school official in performing his or her tasks. A school official typically has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an educa­tion record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibilities for the University.

The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the University to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The name and address of the office that administers FERPA is:

Family Policy Compliance Office
U.S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20202

See the list below of the disclosures that postsecondary institutions may make without consent.

FERPA permits the disclosure of PII from students’ education records, without consent of the student, if the disclosure meets certain conditions found in § 99.31 of the FERPA regulations. Except for disclosures to school officials, disclosures related to some judicial orders or lawfully issued subpoenas, disclosures of directory information, and disclosures to the student, § 99.32 of FERPA regulations requires the institution to record the disclosure. Eligible students have a right to inspect and review the record of disclosures. A postsecondary institution may disclose PII from the education records without obtaining prior written consent of the student -

  • To other school officials, including teachers, within University whom the school has determined to have legitimate educational interests. This includes contractors, consultants, volunteers, or other parties to whom the school has outsourced institutional services or functions, provided that the conditions listed in § 99.31(a)(1)(i)(B)(1) - (a)(1)(i)(B)(3) are met. (§ 99.31(a)(1))
  • To officials of another school where the student seeks or intends to enroll, or where the student is already enrolled if the disclosure is for purposes related to the student’s enrollment or transfer, subject to the requirements of § 99.34. (§ 99.31(a)(2))
  • To authorized representatives of the U. S. Comptroller General, the U.S. Attorney General, the U.S. Secretary of Education, or State and local educational authorities, such as a State postsecondary authority that is responsible for supervising the university’s State-supported education programs. Disclosures under this provision may be made, subject to the requirements of §99.35, in connection with an audit or evaluation of Federal- or State-supported education programs, or for the enforcement of or compliance with Federal legal requirements that relate to those programs. These entities may make further disclosures of PII to outside entities that are designated by them as their authorized representatives to conduct any audit, evaluation, or enforcement or compliance activity on their behalf. (§§ 99.31(a)(3) and 99.35)
  • In connection with financial aid for which the student has applied or which the student has received, if the information is necessary to determine eligibility for the aid, determine the amount of the aid, determine the conditions of the aid, or enforce the terms and conditions of the aid. (§ 99.31(a)(4))
  • To organizations conducting studies for, or on behalf of, the school, in order to: (a) develop, validate, or administer predictive tests; (b) administer student aid programs; or (c) improve instruction. (§ 99.31(a)(6))
  • To accrediting organizations to carry out their accrediting functions. (§ 99.31(a)(7))
  • To parents of an eligible student if the student is a dependent for IRS tax purposes. (§  99.31(a)(8))
  • To comply with a judicial order or lawfully issued subpoena. (§ 99.31(a)(9))
  • To appropriate officials in connection with a health or safety emergency, subject to § 99.36. (§  99.31(a)(10))
  • Information the school has designated as “directory information” under § 99.37. (§ 99.31(a)(11))
  • To a victim of an alleged perpetrator of a crime of violence or a non-forcible sex offense, subject to the requirements of § 99.39. The disclosure may only include the final results of the disciplinary proceeding with respect to that alleged crime or offense, regardless of the finding. (§ 99.31(a)(13))
  • To the general public, the final results of a disciplinary proceeding, subject to the requirements of § 99.39, if the school determines the student is an alleged perpetrator of a crime of violence or non-forcible sex offense and the student has committed a violation of the school’s rules or policies with respect to the allegation made against him or her. (§ 99.31(a)(14))
  • To parents of a student regarding the student’s violation of any Federal, State, or local law, or of any rule or policy of the school, governing the use or possession of alcohol or a controlled substance if the school determines the student committed a disciplinary violation and the student is under the age of 21. (§99.31(a)(15))

Additional Information may be found at https://studentprivacy.ed.gov/audience/parents-and-students.

Directory Information and Release to Third Parties

Directory information is the information available about a student that is not considered harmful or an invasion of privacy if disclosed. The following is student directory information that may be released upon request or otherwise published without student consent:

  • the student’s name
  • the student’s date and place of birth
  • the student’s grade level, class and college
  • the student’s local and permanent addresses
  • the student’s telephone number
  • the student’s email address
  • the student’s enrollment status
  • the most recent previous educational institution attended by the student
  • the student’s dates of attendance at Florida Polytechnic University
  • the student’s University ID number (not social security number)
  • the student’s major field of study
  • any degrees earned by the student
  • the nature and place of the student’s employment at the University
  • honors and awards given to the student
  • titles of publications by the student
  • the student’s photo
  • the student’s graduation date
  • the student’s participation in officially recognized or registered activities and sports
  • the student’s weight and height when he/she is a member of an athletic team.

For additional information see FPU-3.001.

Name Change

Official name change forms are available through the Office of the University Registrar. For the purpose of authentication, students are required to present a valid form of supporting documentation showing both the change and the reason when the form is submitted.

  • Marriage License
  • Divorce decree
  • Legal name change documentation
  • Social Security card, signed
  • Passport
  • Current Florida driver’s license or State issued I.D. card

Original copies and the form must be submitted in person. Originals submitted in person are returned immediately. If unable to submit in person, the request and notarized copies of the original documents may be mailed to Florida Polytechnic University, Attn: Registrar’s Office, 4700 Research Way; Lakeland, FL 33805-8531. For more information see FPU-5.0011AP.

Preferred First Name

Students are encouraged to communicate with their instructors, classmates and University staff if they have a preferred name they would like to be addressed by. Students may also choose to complete the Preferred Name Request form if they would like to formally notify the University of their preferred first name.

Examples of a preferred name can include, but are not limited to, going by your middle name rather than your first, using an abbreviation or variation of your legal name (i.e., Bill instead of William), or going by an alternate first name that you prefer to self-identity with. Inappropriate use of the preferred name, including but not limited to misrepresentation or attempting to avoid legal obligations, may be cause for denying the request.

Preferred names will not appear on official documents like the transcript or diploma unless they are also part of your legal name.