May 24, 2024  
2023-2024 Undergraduate Catalog & Student Handbook 
2023-2024 Undergraduate Catalog & Student Handbook

Enrollment Information


Prior to registration for the student’s initial term at the University, each student accepted for admission must submit a signed medical history form, including documentation of appropriate immunizations as required by the University. International students must also submit the medical insurance required under Board of Governor’s regulation 6.009 before registering for classes.

All students are responsible for his or her registration status. Registration is completed online through the student portal. A student who makes changes to his or her registration should take into consideration the potential academic and financial impact. International students are responsible for maintaining their immigration status.

For more information see FPU-5.0102AP.

Enrollment Status

Undergraduate Degree and Non-Degree Seeking:


12 or more





Less Than Half-time



Student Classifications

Undergraduate (freshman, sophomore, junior, and senior) students are classified on the basis of semester hours satisfactorily earned.


0 through 29 semester hours.


30 through 59 semester hours.


60 through 89 semester hours.


90 or more semester hours, prior to completing baccalaureate requirements.

Note: Non-Degree Seeking students enrolled in an undergraduate course (1000-4000 level) will be classified as Freshman.

Student Holds

Holds may be placed on a student’s account, records, transcript, grades, diplomas or registration because of financial or other obligations to the University such as failure to turn in required paperwork or failure to participate in required advisements. Satisfaction of the obligation is required prior to the release of the hold by the office having authority.

Course Load

A full-time undergraduate student is enrolled in 12 or more credit hours per semester. A part-time undergraduate student is enrolled in fewer than 12 credit hours per semester. The typical full-time undergraduate course load is 12 to 18 credit hours each semester. Students should take between 30 and 33 hours annually to graduate in four years. In the Fall and Spring semesters, the maximum number of credit hours in which an undergraduate may enroll is 18. During the Summer semester, the maximum number of credit hours allowed during a six-week term is 9, and the maximum number of credit hours allowed during a 12-week term is 15. The total of combined summer sessions cannot exceed 15 hours. Semester overload permission from the Provost’s Office and University Registrar is required to enroll for more than the maximum allowable hours but may not exceed 21 credit hours. For additional information see FPU-5.0088AP.

Adding/Dropping a Course

Adding a course: Students without a registration hold or other restrictions may add courses or change sections of courses during the registration period and the drop/add period, as published in the Academic Calendar. Classes may be added during the registration period by accessing the registration tab in the student information system portal.

Dropping a course: Courses may be dropped during the registration and drop/add period, as published in the Academic Calendar through the student information system portal. Courses dropped during this period will not appear on the student’s academic record.  Withdrawing from individual courses after the drop/add period must be processed through the Office of the Registrar. These courses will remain on the academic record and are assigned a grade of W. A grade of W is not calculated in the student’s grade point average (GPA), but is counted in attempted credits.

Non-attendance in one or all courses or dropping all courses does not officially constitute formal withdrawal from the University. Refer to the Registration and Enrollment section for information and procedures. A student is financially liable for all courses in which he or she is registered at the end of the drop/add period.

For additional information on course drop/add see FPU-5.0101AP.


Withdrawals may prevent a student from maintaining satisfactory academic progress and/or to complete a degree program efficiently. Students who withdraw from courses may incur repeat course fees and/or excess credit hour surcharges and may not be able to maintain federal student aid or other financial aid awards. It is a student’s responsibility to initiate withdrawals per the policies and to understand the consequences of the decision to withdraw prior to submitting the form.

A withdrawal can be initiated by submitting a completed withdrawal form in person or email to the Office of the University Registrar. Students who formally withdraw after the drop/add period, as published in the Academic Calendar, will receive a grade of W in each course. A student who withdraws may not continue to attend class or participate in class activities. Non-attendance of class(es) does not constitute or effect a withdrawal from a course.

Withdrawal from Individual Course(s)

A student who wants to reduce their course schedule (and remain enrolled in at least one course), after the published drop/add period must submit a course withdraw request to the Registrar’s Office. A student who withdraws from and/or fails an individual course three times, or withdraws from a combination of five courses must meet with the re-admission committee to determine their future enrollment status. Exceptions are allowed for medical withdrawals and withdrawals for military purposes, or as approved by the University.

Withdrawal from the University

Withdrawing from all courses during a term, or not returning after a term is complete, is considered a withdrawal from the University. A student is allowed no more than two term or full withdrawals from the University. Once the limit has been reached, the student must meet with the re-admission committee to determine their future enrollment status.

Withdrawal for Mitigating Circumstances

A mitigating circumstances withdrawal may be a full withdrawal from the University or individual course(s) withdrawal as appropriate to circumstances, at any time during the semester, regardless of deadlines, or within six months of the last day of the semester based on mitigating circumstances. To qualify for a mitigating circumstances withdrawal the student is required to complete and submit the Mitigating Circumstances Petition with supporting documentation to the Office of the University Registrar.

Administrative Withdrawal

Administrative withdrawals may have implications on a student’s Financial Aid award and satisfactory academic progress. Students will be notified of the administrative withdrawal through the student’s University email account. The University administration has the ability to withdraw a student from a single course, multiple courses, or the University, and to revoke that student’s registration at any time during a semester or term for failure to comply with academic requirements including, but not limited to: failure to comply with administrative requirements, safety, failure to register and other related regulations and policies. 

Requests for appeals to the withdrawal policy should be submitted in writing with appropriate documentation to the Office of the University Registrar. Please note, missed deadlines may only be waived by the University Registrar and are not subject to appeal. For additional information see FPU-5.01032AP. 

Military Call to Active Duty Policy

A student who is currently enrolled at the University shall not incur academic or financial penalties by virtue of performing military service on behalf of the United States of America. 

For the purposes of this regulation, “active military service” means active duty in the United States Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard, National Guard of the State of Florida, or other military service as provided in Florida statutes. The student must provide official orders or appropriate military certification to verify such military service.

The purpose of regulation FPU-4.005 Student Withdrawal from Courses Due to Military Service is to provide the policies for students currently enrolled at the University who are called to, or enlist in, active military service to withdraw from courses.

Summer Enrollment Requirement

Florida Poly encourages summer enrollment for students who need to get “on-track” to complete their degree in four-years. Courses typically required to ensure sufficient progress toward degree are offered in the summer, affording students the opportunity to re-take, catch-up, or even better manage their regular academic year schedule by getting ahead. Students should consult with their advisor prior to enrolling in summer coursework to ensure there will be no scheduling issues for future terms. Summer course offerings may vary and academic departments have full discretion on what will be offered based on reasonable need and/or instructor availability.

Undergraduate students entering with fewer than 60-semester credit hours must earn at least nine (9) semester hours prior to graduation by attendance in one or more summer terms at any State University System (SUS) institution. They cannot be earned at a community college, state college, or private university. University presidents or their designees may waive the application of this regulation in cases of unusual hardship to the individual.

Transient Student

Transient students are students who attend any State University System (SUS) or Florida College System (FCS) institution for only one term before returning to their home institutions.

There are two types of outgoing transient students:

A degree-seeking Florida Polytechnic University student who desires to take courses at another SUS or FCS institution. Students must complete the SUS Transient Form on the FloridaShines website. Contact the Office of the Registrar with any questions.

A degree-seeking Florida Polytechnic University student who desires to take courses at an out-of-state institution or an in-state private institution. Students must complete the Transient Student Form. Contact the Office of the Registrar with any questions. It is the student’s responsibility to contact the other institution’s Office of Admissions and complete their application process.

The last thirty credits of the baccalaureate degree must be taken in residence at Florida Poly. In cases of emergency, a maximum of six credits of the final thirty credits may be completed by correspondence or residence at another accredited institution with the approval of the program Department Chair and University Registrar. 

A student who has withdrawn from the university or who has been administratively withdrawn is not eligible to take coursework as a transient student and should apply as either degree or non-degree seeking at the other institution they desire to enroll. 

There are two types of incoming transient students:

  • SUS or FCS transient student is a student in good standing who is seeking a degree from a public Florida university or college and desires to take courses with Florida Polytechnic University. Contact the Office of the Registrar with any questions.
  • Transient students who are degree seeking at an out-of-state institution or an in-state private institution and wish to take classes at Florida Polytechnic University. These students need to contact the Florida Polytechnic University Office of Admissions and complete an application for non-degree enrollment.