Jul 22, 2024  
2021-2022 Undergraduate Academic Catalog and Student Handbook 
2021-2022 Undergraduate Academic Catalog and Student Handbook [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Registration and Enrollment


Prior to registration for the student’s initial term at the University, each student accepted for admission must submit a signed medical history form, including documentation of appropriate immunizations as required by the University. International students must also submit the medical insurance required under Board of Governor’s regulation 6.009 before registering for classes.

All students are responsible for his or her registration status. Registration is completed online through the student portal. A student who makes changes to his or her registration should take into consideration the potential academic and financial impact. International students are responsible for maintaining their immigration status.

For more information see FPU-5.0102AP.

Enrollment Status

Undergraduate Degree and Non Degree-Seeking:


12 or more





Less Than Half-time


Graduate Degree and Non Degree-Seeking:


9 or more





Less Than Half-time


Note: Graduate Thesis-option students typically take 3 credits only in their final term. This is considered full-time for financial aid purposes.

Student Classifications

Undergraduate (freshman, sophomore, junior, and senior) students are classified on the basis of semester hours satisfactorily earned.


0 through 29 semester hours.


30 through 59 semester hours.


60 through 89 semester hours.


90 or more semester hours, prior to completing baccalaureate requirements.

Post-baccalaureate: Any student who is enrolled in a course, regardless of course level, who has a baccalaureate degree, is not working toward another baccalaureate degree, and has not been admitted to a graduate program.

Graduate: Any student enrolled in a graduate course (5000-6000 level) who has been admitted to a graduate program.

Student Holds

Holds may be placed on a student’s account, records, transcript, grades, diplomas or registration because of financial or other obligations to the University such as failure to turn in required paperwork or failure to participate in required advisements. Satisfaction of the obligation is required prior to the release of the hold by the office having authority.

Semester System

Florida Polytechnic University operates on a semester system. Each semester hour represents the equivalent of one instructional period of 50 minutes in length. The Fall and Spring semesters are 16 weeks in length (including one week of final exams). The Fall semester begins in August and ends in December and the Spring semester begins in January and ends in May. The Summer semester has four terms: Term A is a 6-week term that begins in May and ends in June; Term B is a 6-week term that begins in June and ends in August; Term C is a 12-week term that begins in May and ends in August; and Term D is a 10-week term that begins in June and ends in August. For additional information see the Academic Calendars and policy FPU-5.003AP.

Summer Enrollment Requirement

Florida Poly encourages summer enrollment for students who need to get back “on-track” to complete their degree in four-years. Courses typically required to ensure sufficient progress toward degree are offered in the summer, affording students the opportunity to re-take, catch-up, or even better manage their regular academic year schedule by getting ahead. Undergraduate students entering with fewer than 60-semester credit hours must earn at least nine (9) semester hours prior to graduation by attendance in one or more summer terms at any State University System (SUS) institution. They cannot be earned at a community college, state college, or private university. University presidents or their designees may waive the application of this regulation in cases of unusual hardship to the individual.


Transcripts are released only with written authorization from the student. Telephone and fax requests for official transcripts will not be accepted. Transcripts will not be released for students who have a financial obligation to the University. Official transcript requests should be submitted to the Bursar’s Office, along with the fee payment. The Registrar’s Office will process the request. A $10 fee is charged for each official transcript requested.

Unofficial transcripts can be obtained via the student portal, which is no charge.

Transfer of Coursework

The University is committed to its obligation to maintain academic quality and integrity. When deciding whether to accept credits for transfer, the University considers the level, content, quality, comparability, and degree program relevance. The University may grant transfer credit for academic coursework completed at accredited institutions or institutions in candidacy for accreditation. No credit is awarded for technical, vocational, physical education, pre-college coursework, or for coursework completed below a grade of C. Credit by departmental examination from another institution will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Duplicate credit for courses, including credit by examination, in areas where they have received college credit for equal courses or more advanced work will not be awarded. Any credit hours awarded by another institution solely on the basis of SAT or ACT scores will not be accepted by Florida Polytechnic University.

The University will accept credit awarded through one or any combination of state-approved acceleration mechanisms, not to exceed forty-five (45) credit hours. Credits awarded through this method must meet or exceed minimum scores established by the Statewide Articulation Agreement. Credit toward major requirements must be approved by the University faculty.

The University recognizes the following programs for which undergraduate students may receive academic credit:

·        Advanced Placement Program (AP)

·        Cambridge Advanced International Certificate of Education (Students shall be awarded a maximum of 30 semester credit hours pursuant to 1007.27 (9))

·        College Level Examination Program (CLEP)

·        Excelsior College Examinations

·        International Baccalaureate Diploma Program (Students shall be awarded a maximum of 30 semester credit hours pursuant to 1007.27 (8))

·        Military service school credit evaluated by the American Council on Education (ACE) guide

·        United States Armed Forces Institute (USAFI)/ Defense Activity of Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES) Examinations

The student is responsible for ensuring that the University receives complete official transcripts for all academic course work taken at other post-secondary institutions and for the acceleration mechanisms. Only official transcripts will be articulated. Failure to supply official transcripts will result in the non-acceptance of credits. The University is committed to its obligation to maintain academic quality. When deciding whether to accept credits for transfer, the University considers the level, content, quality, comparability and degree program relevance. The University also accepts credit for Advanced Placement, Cambridge Advanced International Certificate of Education, CLEP, Excelsior College Exams, International Baccalaureate Diploma Program, Military Service (ACE) and USAF/DANTES. For more information on the acceptance of accelerated mechanisms see FPU-5.0009AP. For additional information on undergraduate transfer of credit see FPU-5.0082AP. For additional information on graduate transfer of coursework see FPU-5.0083AP.

Transient Student

Transient students are students who attend any State University System institution for only one term before returning to their home institutions.

There are two types of outgoing transient students:

A degree-seeking Florida Polytechnic University student who desires to take courses at another State University System (SUS) institution. Students must complete the SUS Transient Form on the FloridaShines website. Contact the Office of the Registrar with any questions.

A degree-seeking Florida Polytechnic University student who desires to take courses at an out-of-state institution or an in-state private institution. Students must complete the Transient Student Form. Contact the Office of the Registrar with any questions. It is the student’s responsibility to contact the other institution’s Office of Admissions and complete their application process.

There are two types of incoming transient students:

  • State University System (SUS) transient student is a student in good standing who is seeking a degree from a public Florida university and desires to take courses with Florida Polytechnic University. Contact the Office of the Registrar with any questions.
  • Transient students who are degree seeking at an out-of-state institution or an in-state private institution and wish to take classes at Florida Polytechnic University. These students need to contact the Florida Polytechnic University Office of Admissions and complete an application for non-degree enrollment.


Withdrawals may prevent a student from maintaining satisfactory academic progress and/or to complete a degree program efficiently. Students who withdraw from courses may incur repeat course fees and/or excess credit hour surcharges and may not be able to maintain federal student aid or other financial aid awards. It is a student’s responsibility to initiate withdrawals per the policies and to understand the consequences of the decision to withdraw prior to submitting the form. A withdrawal can be initiated by submitting a completed form in person oremail to the Office of the University Registrar.

Students who formally withdraw as published in the Academic Calendar, will receive a grade of W in each course. A student who withdraws may not continue to attend class. Non-attendance of class(es) does not constitute or effect a withdrawal from a course. Requests for appeals to the withdrawal policy should be submitted in writing with appropriate documentation to the Office of the University Registrar.

For additional information see FPU-5.01032AP. For information relating to withdraw from courses due to military service see FPU- 4.005.

Student Records, FERPA, and Access

The Office of the Registrar is one of the official custodians of student records. Student records provided to the University become the property of the University and may be considered part of the student education record. These records cannot be returned to the student or released to a third party and will be used by University officials to assist students in their academic career and to conduct University business.

The University maintains student educational records in a confidential and secure manner in accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, as amended, (“FERPA”), also known as the Buckley Amendment (20 U.S.C. 1232g). Florida Statutes Section 1002.225 provides certain rights to students concerning their student records. Florida Statutes Section 1006.52 makes both student records and applicant records confidential and exempt from disclosure under the State’s Public Records Law.

 Additional information may be found at the following:

  1. University records policies (FPU-1.0123P and FPU-3.001)
  2. Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act(“FERPA”) (20 U.S.C. § 1232g; 34 CFR Part 99)  
  3. Florida Statutes 1002.225 and Florida Statutes 1006.52

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords eligible students certain rights with respect to their education records. (An “eligible student” under FERPA is a student who is 18 years of age or older or who attends a postsecondary institution at any age.) These rights include:

  1. The right to inspect and review the student’s education records within 45 days after the day the University receives a request for access. A student should submit to the registrar, dean, head of the academic department, or other appropriate official, a written request that identifies the record(s) the student wishes to inspect. The school official will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the school official to whom the request was submitted, that official shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.
  2. The right to request the amendment of the student’s education records that the student believes is inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the student’s privacy rights under FERPA.

A student who wishes to ask the University to amend a record should write the University official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record the student wants changed, and specify why it should be changed.

If the University decides not to amend the record as requested, the University will notify the student in writing of the decision and the student’s right to a hearing re­garding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.

The right to provide written consent before the University discloses personally identifiable information (PII) from the student’s education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent.

The University discloses education records without a student’s prior written consent under the FERPA exception for disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official is a person employed by the University in an administrative, supervisory, academic, research, or support staff position (including law en­forcement unit personnel and health staff); a person serving on the board of trustees; or a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance com­mittee. A school official also may include a volunteer or contractor outside of the University who performs an institutional service of function for which the school would otherwise use its own employees and who is under the direct control of the school with respect to the use and maintenance of PII from education records, such as an attorney, auditor, or collection agent or a student volunteering to assist another school official in performing his or her tasks. A school official typically has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an educa­tion record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibilities for the University.

The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the University to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The name and address of the office that administers FERPA is:

Family Policy Compliance Office
U.S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20202

See the list below of the disclosures that postsecondary institutions may make without consent.

FERPA permits the disclosure of PII from students’ education records, without consent of the student, if the disclosure meets certain conditions found in § 99.31 of the FERPA regulations. Except for disclosures to school officials, disclosures related to some judicial orders or lawfully issued subpoenas, disclosures of directory information, and disclosures to the student, § 99.32 of FERPA regulations requires the institution to record the disclosure. Eligible students have a right to inspect and review the record of disclosures. A postsecondary institution may disclose PII from the education records without obtaining prior written consent of the student -

  • To other school officials, including teachers, within University whom the school has determined to have legitimate educational interests. This includes contractors, consultants, volunteers, or other parties to whom the school has outsourced institutional services or functions, provided that the conditions listed in § 99.31(a)(1)(i)(B)(1) - (a)(1)(i)(B)(3) are met. (§ 99.31(a)(1))
  • To officials of another school where the student seeks or intends to enroll, or where the student is already enrolled if the disclosure is for purposes related to the student’s enrollment or transfer, subject to the requirements of § 99.34. (§ 99.31(a)(2))
  • To authorized representatives of the U. S. Comptroller General, the U.S. Attorney General, the U.S. Secretary of Education, or State and local educational authorities, such as a State postsecondary authority that is responsible for supervising the university’s State-supported education programs. Disclosures under this provision may be made, subject to the requirements of §99.35, in connection with an audit or evaluation of Federal- or State-supported education programs, or for the enforcement of or compliance with Federal legal requirements that relate to those programs. These entities may make further disclosures of PII to outside entities that are designated by them as their authorized representatives to conduct any audit, evaluation, or enforcement or compliance activity on their behalf. (§§ 99.31(a)(3) and 99.35)
  • In connection with financial aid for which the student has applied or which the student has received, if the information is necessary to determine eligibility for the aid, determine the amount of the aid, determine the conditions of the aid, or enforce the terms and conditions of the aid. (§ 99.31(a)(4))
  • To organizations conducting studies for, or on behalf of, the school, in order to: (a) develop, validate, or administer predictive tests; (b) administer student aid programs; or (c) improve instruction. (§ 99.31(a)(6))
  • To accrediting organizations to carry out their accrediting functions. (§ 99.31(a)(7))
  • To parents of an eligible student if the student is a dependent for IRS tax purposes. (§  99.31(a)(8))
  • To comply with a judicial order or lawfully issued subpoena. (§ 99.31(a)(9))
  • To appropriate officials in connection with a health or safety emergency, subject to § 99.36. (§  99.31(a)(10))
  • Information the school has designated as “directory information” under § 99.37. (§ 99.31(a)(11))
  • To a victim of an alleged perpetrator of a crime of violence or a non-forcible sex offense, subject to the requirements of § 99.39. The disclosure may only include the final results of the disciplinary proceeding with respect to that alleged crime or offense, regardless of the finding. (§ 99.31(a)(13))
  • To the general public, the final results of a disciplinary proceeding, subject to the requirements of § 99.39, if the school determines the student is an alleged perpetrator of a crime of violence or non-forcible sex offense and the student has committed a violation of the school’s rules or policies with respect to the allegation made against him or her. (§ 99.31(a)(14))
  • To parents of a student regarding the student’s violation of any Federal, State, or local law, or of any rule or policy of the school, governing the use or possession of alcohol or a controlled substance if the school determines the student committed a disciplinary violation and the student is under the age of 21. (§99.31(a)(15))

Additional Information may be found at https://www2.ed.gov/policy/gen/guid/fpco/ferpa/students.html.

Directory Information and Release to Third Parties

Directory information is the information available about a student that is not considered harmful or an invasion of privacy if disclosed. The following is student directory information that may be released upon request or otherwise published without student consent:

  • Student’s name
  • Student’s date and place of birth
  • Local and permanent addresses
  • Telephone number
  • Email address
  • University student ID number (not social security number)
  • Enrollment status
  • Dates of attendance at Florida Polytechnic University
  • Level and class
  • Majors, minors, certificates, concentrations
  • Degrees, honors, and awards earned by the student
  • Graduation date
  • Titles of publications by the student
  • Student’s photo
  • Student’s participation in officially recognized or registered activities and sports
  • Student’s weight and height when he/she is a member of an athletic team
  • Most recent previous educational institution attended by the student
  • Nature and place of the student’s employment at the University

For additional information see FPU-3.001.

Name Change

Official name change forms are available through the Office of the University Registrar. For the purpose of authentication, students are required to present a valid form of supporting documentation showing both the change and the reason when the form is submitted.

  • Marriage License
  • Divorce decree
  • Legal name change documentation
  • Social Security card, signed
  • Passport
  • Current Florida driver’s license or State issued I.D. card

Original copies and the form must be submitted in person. Originals submitted in person are returned immediately. If unable to submit in person, the request and notarized copies of the original documents may be mailed to Florida Polytechnic University, Attn: Registrar’s Office, 4700 Research Way; Lakeland, FL 33805-8531. For more information see FPU-5.0011AP.


Prior to registration, each applicant accepted for admission must submit appropriate medical documentation to include, but not be limited to, documentation of appropriate immunization required by the University as provided by FPU 2.001.

Military Call to Active Duty Policy

A student who is currently enrolled at the University shall not incur academic or financial penalties by virtue of performing military service on behalf of the United States of America. 

For the purposes of this regulation, “active military service” means active duty in the United States Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard, National Guard of the State of Florida, or other military service as provided in Florida statutes. The student must provide official orders or appropriate military certification to verify such military service.

The purpose of regulation FPU-4.005 Student Withdrawal from Courses Due to Military Service is to provide the policies for students currently enrolled at the University who are called to, or enlist in, active military service to withdraw from courses.

Religious Holidays

The Board of Governors and state law govern University policy regarding observance of religious holidays:

  • Students, upon prior notification to their instructors, shall be excused from class or other scheduled academic activity to observe a religious holy day of their faith.
  • Students shall be permitted a reasonable amount of time to make up the material or activities covered in their absence.
  • Students shall not be penalized due to absence from class or other scheduled academic activity.
  • A faculty member who is informed of or aware that a significant number of students are likely to be absent from his or her class because of a religious observance, should not schedule a major exam or other academic event at that time.

Furthermore, a student who is to be excused from class for a religious holy day is not required to provide a second party certification of the reasons for the absence. Finally, a student who believes that he or she has been unreasonably denied an education benefit due to religious beliefs or practices may seek redress through the student grievance procedure.
For more information regarding religious observance see FPU 3.009.